I feel like I have slowly turned myself into a crazy sunscreen lady. I’m of Ukrainian and English heritage, so I’m naturally a very fair person. When I was younger I used to hate that I was fair skinned and would lay out in the sun (without sunscreen) for hours to get a tan. My mother always told me how important SPF was, but when I was younger I didn’t listen to her (sorry mom!). As I get older I am starting to realize how important it is to wear sun protection everyday, not just on warm sunny days. Here are three reasons you should be wearing sunscreen daily:
- Global Warming is a real thing. As our ozone layer becomes thinner, more Ultra Violet Rays (UVR) are making their way to the earths surface and your skin. (Sunscreen absorbs Ultra Violet Rays, blocking them from your skin completely).
- Skin cancer rates are on the rise. (this alone should be enough of a reason for you to wear SPF daily).
- Excess sun exposure can lead to premature aging, skin discolouration and wrinkles. (I am all about preventative measures when it comes to my skin! I’d rather delay aging now, instead of trying to reverse time later).
UV Rays are an issue all year long, not just during the summer months when the sun “feels” hotter. It might seem incredibly daunting to use SPF daily. However, its really not! I’m going to introduce you to products that can help keep your whole body safe from UV rays with minimal effort on your part. Now lets get into the real reason you’re here, the products:
Lip Care with SPF:
Yes, even your lips need to be protected from UV Rays!
1. Jack Black – Moisture Therapy Lip Balm SPF 20 from Sephora ($10.50)
2. Burt’s Bees – All Weather Lip Balm SPF 15 from Burt’s Bees ($4)
3. B. Kamins – Lip Balm SPF 20 from Sephora ($22)
4. Sun Bum – Lip Balm SPF 30 from Sun Bum ($4)
Cosmetics with SPF:
There are lots of different cosmetics that contain SPF!
1. It Cosmetics – Your Skin But Better CC Cream SPF 50+ from Sephora ($49)
2. Origins – GinZing Tinted Moisturizer SPF 40 from Sephora ($49)
3. Physicians Formula- The Healthy Foundation SPF 20 from Physicians Formula ($15)
4. Neutrogena Healthy Skin Compact SPF 55 from Amazon ($12)
If you wear makeup but don’t want to invest in new products that contain SPF, these are a great alternative to wear under your makeup.
1. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Sunscreen Stick SPF 70 from Target ($12)
2. Supergoop! Glow Stick Sunscreen SPF 50 from Supergoop! ($25)
3. Aveeno Positively Radiant Daily Moisturizer SPF 30 from Target ($19)
4. Tarte Tarteguard Vegan Sunscreen SPF 30 from Sephora ($40)
Instead of using body lotion daily, I’ve started using sunscreen instead! My skin is soft and moisturized well still being protected!
1. Supergoop! Everyday Sunscreen SPF 50 from Supergoop! ($10-48)
2. Hawaiian Tropic Silk Hydration Weightless SPF 50 from Walmart ($10)
3. Clarins Milk Lotion Sunscreen Spray SPF 50+ from Sephora ($36)
4. Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch SPF 110 from Walmart ($15)
If you want to read more about how to protect yourself from the sun and the damage that UVR’s can cause check out the Canadian Cancer Society’s website.